Printfriendly

Funnel Cakes!



I have a confession to make!  I love amusement parks and even worse, I love certain amusement park foods!  I know, it's all bad for you and I know it's even questionable at times, but when I go to an amusement park, I want two things before I leave...a corn dog and a funnel cake!  

 The corn dog thing started when my sister and I were just kids and we both still have to have a corn dog at an amusement park.  I am not sure when the funnel cake thing started, but it was later.  My niece, Whitney, loves a funnel cake also! 

Funnel Cakes are just fun!  I worked in a long term care facility (aka nursing home) for a few years as a recreation therapist.   I always tried to think of outings to go on so that the patients who were able could go out and do things.  

Some of my ideas got some raised eyebrows from management, but overall, I have to say, they became more open minded and were very supportive.  Long story short, we went bowling sometimes and we ate lunch at the bowling alley, which to a person in a nursing home is a real treat...believe it or not. 

The bowling alley had two things they did well...pizza and funnel cakes, so that is what we had every time and my nursing home friends were as happy as could be.  However, I discovered that most of them had never had a funnel cake!  I was so surprised! 

 Let me tell you, their first experience with funnel cakes was a good one.   They loved them and I had to even order a couple of extras they loved them so much!  They were so adorable with powdered sugar all over their faces and smiles from ear to ear.   They got a good laugh at the powdered sugar on my nose also! 

Here is what you will need for these yummy funnel cakes:

2 1/2 cups self rising flour
1/3 cup sugar
1  1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the self rising flour, sugar, milk and eggs, beating until smooth.   Heat about an inch of oil in a skillet to 375 degrees.  

Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter in a kitchen funnel with a 3/8 inch opening.  Keep your finger over the opening until you start to drizzle the batter in the pan.  You can also use a squeeze bottle for this, but you will need to cut the end off some to make the opening a bit bigger. 

Drizzle the batter in a circular motion and fry until just browning on each side.  I made these extra big for the camera, so you don't need to make yours quite this big.  They will be easier to turn if not quite this big.  Do not turn until the first side is nice and done.  This much batter will make about 4 to 5 nice size funnel cakes. 



Remove to a paper towel lined plate while you fry the others and allow to cool just a bit.



Sprinkle well with the powdered sugar!  You can also sprinkle with a mixture cinnamon and sugar as an alternative, but I like the powdered sugar best! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest