Printfriendly

Creamed Peas with New Potatoes!

 

These "Creamed Peas and New Potatoes" is a familiar dish with many of us who grew up in the South.  Maybe they eat this in the North also, I don't really know, but I do know that so many of you Southerners have mentioned them.  Any time I post the salmon patties, I always get comments about creamed peas.   It seems that every southern mama decided creamed peas just go with salmon patties and they do go well together.  I think most children don't really love the green peas, but I was odd I guess, because I always did.  My mother almost always dressed them up with a cream sauce or even took them to another level when she added just a little cheese to the sauce.  I will discuss that further in the recipe. 

We were lucky enough to have fresh green peas for this dish, but you can use frozen peas or canned peas also. 


 Here is what you will need:

1 lb. small new potatoes, peeled and quartered or halved if very small
1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups fresh shelled green peas (or 2 10 oz. bags frozen peas or 2 (15 oz.) cans green peas, drained)
3 Tbs. butter
3 Tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
2 cups half and half cream (could use whole milk)
fresh dill for garnish
***1 cup diced Velveeta cheese (optional ingredient)


Place the potatoes in a sauce pan with enough water to just cover.  Add salt to water.  Bring to a boil and the simmer for about 5 minutes.  Add the peas and simmer for an additional 15 -20 minutes.   The fresh peas won't take long.   If you are using frozen or canned peas, just cook about 5 minutes.  Just make sure your potatoes are tender.  Drain most of the water when they are done.

In a microwave proof bowl melt the butter.  Add the flour, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.  Microwave for just about 30 seconds.   Whisk in the half and half cream and microwave for about 3 minutes.   These times will vary according to the wattage of your own microwave.  Whisk well until the sauce is thick and smooth.   You can also do this on the stovetop, just be sure to stir constantly to keep it from sticking.

If you want to make the Cheesy Peas, add the cubed Velveeta to the white sauce and microwave for another minute.  Whisk until melted and smooth. 

Pour the sauce over the peas and potatoes and toss to coat. 


You can garnish with a  little fresh dill!  These are really good with Salmon Patties! 

3 comments:

  1. I have eaten this a lot, my mother used to make the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love green peas and new potatoes. Sometimes my mother added the heads of new spring onions to the mixture. They added a good flavor also.
    Fern Ragan

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest